Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.17 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
To date, Fenix has sold over 300,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and Zambia, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over one million people. In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the world’s largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. ENGIE will make significant commercial investments in Fenix to accelerate the path to our mission. Fenix will operate as a distinct and autonomous company within the ENGIE group in order to retain our unrelenting focus on innovation, smart iterative design, strong team culture and exceptional customer experience. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to tens of millions of off-grid customers and to make universal access to modern energy a reality across Africa.
Fenix is looking for an experienced, highly motivated and disciplined Global Assistant Financial Controller with a passion for entrepreneurship, renewable energy, and financial inclusion to join our team. This position is an exciting role in a fast-paced start up at the front lines of renewable energy and mobile payment technology. Candidates should expect a fast paced startup culture, and will be expected to take ownership of a wide range of responsibilities, and put into practice strong accounting and reporting skills.
The Global Assistant Financial Controller will report directly to the Global Financial Controller as well as collaborate with the CFO, and Global Finance Director to oversee and execute the monthly management accounting, accounts payable, payroll and expense reporting for Fenix International Inc (a US company). The role will also be heavily involved in the roll out of SAP Business One, and will require implementation of procedures and controls to ensure best practices are maintained.
- Assist with global financial reporting activities, including:
- Financials, PO’s, payments, monthly billings and payroll
- Accounting practices and reporting processes
- Revenue and expenses booking according to IFRS compliant practices,
- Coordinate tax filings for and collaborate with Director of Finance/Global Controller to oversee external audits and tax audits
- Oversee banking relationships and monitor accounts
- Assist admin team and processes, ensuring seamless administration functions and implement systems and processes that support the business and team
- Produce monthly global balance sheet reconciliations and financial analysis
- Assist with consolidation of group financials
- Implement operational best practices
- Assist CFO, Director of Corporate Finance, Director of Finance and Financial Controller in annual budgeting and periodic forecasting, BvA reporting and board reporting as necessary.
- Ad hoc assignments and supporting subsidiary finance teams based throughout Africa.
- In coordination with the rest of the global finance team help roll out finance functions in new expansion countries, including rolling out SAP Business One ERP system for inventory management, accounting, payroll and forecasting.
- Design and produce reports within SAP Business One and train others on how to replicate the reports.
Required Skills & Experience
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills in English and French.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning systems; experience with SAP business One a big advantage.
- B.A or B.S in Accounting, CPA/ACCA preferred, 5 years minimum experience in Operational Finance related roles
- Significant experience of month end management accounts preparation.
- Accounts payable experience
- Advanced proficiency in accounting software tools
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in excel
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature
- Attention to detail, strategic thinker
- A passion for Fenix and our customers!
Highly Desired Skills
- Certified Accountant or Chartered Financial Analyst
- French and/or Portuguese language proficiency
- SQL and or/Tableau experience
- Work experience in a multinational company or financial institution, preferably with operations in Africa
- Understanding of rural BOP markets, microfinance, mobile telecom and/or renewable energy industries in Africa
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.